Whether commuting to work, enjoying a night out with friends, or heading to the airport after a much-needed vacation, Floridians are using rideshare platforms such as Uber and Lyft at incredible rates. There’s nothing quite like the convenience of using a cell phone to hail a ride to and from nearly anywhere. While using such a service can save time, money and may even be better for the environment, it’s not without its downfalls.
Rideshare accidents are common in Florida. Unfortunately, they negatively impacted many passengers and other drivers each year. They often occur due to:
- Rideshare drivers being distracted by their platform’s app or even their passengers
- Drivers navigating unfamiliar roadways
- Being rushed to drop off one passenger and get to the next to increase earning potential
- Unsafe drop off and pick up practices, such as dropping passengers off in the middle of the road
Anyone who has suffered injuries in such an accident should review their case with a seasoned St. Pete rideshare accident attorney from our firm. They could be eligible to receive compensation for their damages.
Rideshare Accident Statistics
Rideshare accidents are more common than most people think. As these services continue to climb in popularity, they will only continue to happen at concerning rates. Even with an ongoing pandemic, Uber sales increased 103 percent year-over-year, and Lyft sales increased 87 percent year-over-year, according to figures from October 2021. Increased sales mean more drivers and riders on the road, which increases the risk of rideshare accidents.
Consider the following statistics found by research performed at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
- Nearly 1,000 daily motor vehicle fatalities are the result of an increasing number of rideshare vehicles on U.S. roadways
- Uber drivers using the platform were involved in 97 fatal crashes between just 2017 and 2018, causing a total of 107 deaths
- 21 percent of these accident victims were riders
- 21 percent of them were drivers
- The other 58 percent of those crash victims were third-party drivers or passengers
Rideshare Accidents are Complicated
On many levels, rideshare accidents are like any other accident. However, since they often involve multiple at-fault parties and multiple insurance companies, they can become quickly complicated. Different laws and insurance coverage apply depending on the driving status of the driver at the time of the accident or if the damages exceed the amount of one policy. For these reasons and many more, it’s in your best interest to have a well-versed St. Pete rideshare accident lawyer on your side as you seek to recover your financial damages.
Were You in a Rideshare Accident? Contact a Skilled St. Pete Rideshare Accident Attorney Today for Help
Suppose you or someone you love was recently injured in a rideshare crash. In that case, the St. Pete rideshare accident lawyers at Tragos, Sartes&Tragos are here to help you through this difficult time. We know that you are likely trying to recover from physical injuries, all the while concerned about how you will pay your medical bills and get by with lost wages. You have many burdens to bear, but holding the right parties accountable and obtaining full and fair compensation won’t have to be one of them when you hire our firm. Start by scheduling your no-obligation case consultation. Call us at (727) 441-9030 or reach out online.